I did cut and fold the risograph print to make a zine. Although this particular piece is rather garish, and there are mistakes in the separation/layering, as an exercise in learning about the machine I think it was worth it and I would like to investigate locating one that I can get access to push this further.
Now back to patience. I have already posted the images of eight pieces of plate with a peel n blue resist applied ready to produce two different four colour etchings. To save time I decided it would be a good idea to bite them all at the same time and then do a major printing session.
When I came to print I realised that the plates weren’t properly degreased. The copper sulphate had bitten into the exposed aluminium at random just giving deep spots across the plate. Any detail I managed to get was coming from the resist which I’d left on the plate (it’s really difficult to remove but does seem to print OK – usually!) but it is so shallow that I cannot get any depth of colour from it.
The red plate printed best and you can see some detail (and the red spots from the deeper etch)
The two coloured version gives a vague idea of what I’m trying to do but it is too pale and looses a lot of the detail. (The light I'm taking these photos in isn't helping either)
With eight ruined plates and no way to rescue them I think I’ll go back to gum arabic again for this image.