Saturday 2 December 2017

Time

It’s that time of year again. At our house everything stops for Panto in November.  Due to the recent arrival of a new grandson my daughter wasn’t in it this year but my son was the goose, my husband was the dame and I was busy painting, making and shifting stuff. I was particularly proud of the 9 foot high waterfall that the dame made her exit and entrance through (unfortunately no photos)

But I did manage to make a book. A while ago my husband and I were talking about the possibilities of combining his woodworking with my bookmaking and he made me a prototype scroll box. This month it finally got its scroll.
The box itself reminded me of a time capsule so that set the theme
and I decided to use a mobius strip for the structure to represent the infinite nature of time.
Initially I had been intending to use fabric make the scroll but needed something that would hold its shape and that I could print on both sides. In the end I use paper and digitally printed it.
It joins (under Dinner time!) with 4 tiny magnets.

4 comments:

  1. An interesting scroll book - I like the way you involve the reader by making them take the time to make it infinite.
    I'm delighted to read of your panto exploits as it indicates that you are physically enabled once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say it was a quick project to get a book made for a busy November I'm quite pleased with it.
    The back added a new dimension to designing panto scenery. It all had to be an a pully, or had to roll or had to break down into lightweight pieces, but it worked

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! I was about to leave a comment asking how you folded a mobius strip into a scroll and then I got to the end and read about the magnets.
    Any thoughts on making more and perhaps decorating the wooden carrier with printing too? This opens up lots of possibilities... for when the time you'll have when the panto season is over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a prototype to see what was possible with the lathe. I'll definitely start to explore embelishing wood. I thought if they were sealed gum arabic printing would work on flat covers but I'm not sure about burnishing cylinders.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.