Starting by making some smaller inkjet prints on acetate I decided that the ink side of the print needs protecting. It is susceptible to scratching but also feels slightly sticky because of the layer of ‘stuff’ on the film that the ink sticks too.
As I started to arrange and play with the order it occurred to me that if they were thicker they might resemble the glass plate negatives that some of the original photos will have been produced on. I cannot print directly onto perspex so I have been experimenting with layering ink jet prints (on acetate) with other materials to give a more substantial feel.
Inkjet transfer print wasn’t successful onto a nonporous surface and using gel medium to stick the print to a substrate leaves drying marks, the gel is difficult to spread absolutely evenly and because it is encased between two plastic layers it doesn’t dry well. Stuck to a flexible material it also peels away, not good for a book structure
Laminating the acetate seems to be the most successful method so far. They aren’t as thick as I’d like but they will stand independently. I think I can do something with these.