Wednesday 1 July 2020

Book play

Ok, so why do two different print processes that I thought I'd nailed when experimenting stop working when I try to apply them to make a thing?

I was confident enough to print 'plates' at different sizes to make two meander books. One using gum arabic and the other for gelli plate.

I used exactly the same methods as last time but neither worked properly. Some of the text and image printed but it was patchy and not clear enough for making a book. The same happened with both techniques.

The only common variables that I can think of are the weather, it had got hotter (but I don't see why this should affect the oil based method) and the laser prints.

The cartridge empty light has been on for several weeks now (it carries on printing for a good while when this happens) and although the prints look dense enough I'm wondering if it's not actually laying down enough toner for making printing plates

The problem is I'm actually bored with this book and at the moment I don't seem to be able to summon up the enthusiasm to try again.

So I gave myself an afternoon's play instead.
And for the NWBA challenge 'Collection' I made five five cm square books that fit in a five cm square box, each book a different structure. The only materials and tools used were an old book, an Amazon box, knife, ruler, cutting mat and glue stick.


On a different note while playing arround with a new header for the blog I noticed that it had set comments to members only. No idea why. I've set them back to normal now. I'm sorry if you've been struggling to leave a message but normal service should now be ressumed. Please try again.

2 comments:

  1. what a pity that it didn't turn out the way you wanted. I usually leave it then for a couple of days and try again. Good luck. But this afternoon play is much fun too. I like the end result ! A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I replace the laser toner cartridge I'll print the images again and see if that was the problem. In the meantime I think I'll continue playing for a while

      Delete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.