I made a set of prints, of each block of text and images in both brown and blue on gauze. I already had a set of brown on cotton for the back.
The gauze that I bought wasn’t as fine as the original stuff so when I put two layers over the back image they obscured it too much. As I started to layer the gauzes to see what I could do with them it started turning back into a book with the cotton as a cover.
I initially thought I’d join them a Japanese stab binding, something that looked a bit like blanket stitch, but even that was too obtrusive so I settled for a simple backstitch.
At the moment the edges are a bit too clean cut but they are fraying each time I turn the pages and with time they should soften up nicely.