Monday 30 July 2018

It Grew


I’ve been printing out more quotes from the material in the archives and they were dry enough to finish arranging and pinning onto the backing cloth yesterday. It now measures about two yards long.
 The original sample was stitched to scrim. I thought that that would be too flimsy for the final book so I’ve decided to go with old sheeting with a backing of hessian. The sheet will give support and the hessian, with the stitching visible, will add texture to the back of the scroll. I think this will look more finished than just the white cotton.
 The following image is a quote from a letter from the Rev Clay. It was this that made me decide to work with pieces of recycled and left over fabrics. I didn’t think that during the middle of the lockout that these girls would have lengths of new material to play with, much more likely to be patching, darning and making over.
 I’m not sure how long it will take to sew but I’ve a deadline of somewhere mid September I think.

1 comment:

  1. It is looking like a really interesting gathering words and fabric and stitches Jac. As ever, a process ? - are you printing from the computer? or gum arabic transfers or some other magical way of getting words onto fabric? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.