Up to now I’ve been thinking about two different approaches. The first is image driven based on charcoal sketches. These are developing into a night time journey around/to the tower. I put several of these together in a simple structure to see how they work.
Although I’m enjoying the drawing and they are a good warm up when I get into the workroom I don’t think they work for this book. I’d like to develop this into a more long term project (similar to ALAW ) and take them on a longer journey. So I’ll shelve this approach for now.
The second approach is structure driven developing the idea of the tower/half cover from last week.
I’m considering the use of embossing to provide some of the detail, a plait or possibly the rampion (Rapunzel plant). This design works well for printing as it folds back on itself so I can effectively print both sides in one pass
Although I like the symmetry of the design I am having problems with this construction. When I fold the tower to the left and then to the right it bows slightly as I flatten it down. Also the crease thickens. I need to try it with very accurate measuring and different printing weight papers.
As I was sticking one of these together (to see how some of the images I am considering using work in 3D) I made a mistake and ended up with no pop out tower but with a series of interlinked pages that can be folded and opened in different sequences – I might come back and explore this idea later
I have been thinking about the images I may use and have started to play with silhouettes. I’m not sure if I want to include the prince or if he is just a bit player in this story.