Wednesday, 27 February 2019

Asemic Printing

Having decided that hand writing was not the way to go I decided that I needed to experiment a bit with the letters and how I wanted to build the plate.

Tape grid and textured acrylic. I need to be careful not to make the paint pattern too dense.
Torn tape and textured wallpaper. The wallpaper is very difficult to wipe.
Tape grid, wallpaper, acrylic and tape. The differences in height make this difficult to wipe the darks without getting the lights too light.
Textured mount board with different tapes. Unfortunately the texture shows through everything.
This was just an experiment to see how it would work while I had ink mixed. I’d been reading here about using aluminium heating tape over the top of textures. I think this has real possibilities but unfortunately the tape I have is too narrow for the letterforms I need for the book size.
And most importantaly of all this week, on a family note we were delighted to meet grandchild number five this week. Welcome to the world Lily.

Sunday, 10 February 2019

Making progress

I’ve made progress, in small steps, on a few different things over the past two weeks.

I’ve finished two monoprints for the Art Society project “every shape, every colour, every shadow, every line (and every colour)” this week
 The first was an experiment using shellacked mount board as a drypoint plate to get detail. 
 The second used masking tape and magic tape on binder plastic.I want to edit and print off some of the photos of the pier that I took at Christmas and then I think this project is finished.
At the NWBA meeting this week we tried out the diagonal pocket fold from Hedi Kyle’s book “The art of the fold”.  I do like using left over gelli plate prints for experiments.
I’ve also made a start on a structure for the “reflections” book due at the next meeting.
But I think I’ll be running late with this one.  I volunteered to lead the March workshop, exploring the blizzard book, so I need to spend some time working out sizes and making some models.
The Asemic Writing book is moving very slowly. I think I’ve got the basis of a plate design and I think, because of the size, it will need to be a collagraph, but I’m not sure what materials and textures to use. I’ll need to do some letter samples.
 And finally yesterday I finished the letterpress for the text and title page for "these are the fish...." Now all I need is for the ink to dry and I can begin assembling it