Friday, 19 February 2021

More storms

I've been working on the image using reduction monoprint.

 In a mix of raw umber and ultramarine.

 And a three colour separation reduction using deep red, deep yellow and ultramarine.

And a ghost print.

I'm not happy with the colour palette but do I want to try overlaying a trace monoprint to add line to the colour prints when they've dried, just to see if it will work.

Tuesday, 16 February 2021

Storms inside and out

The weather’s been awful so not much chance of digging or walking but I’ve had a busy few days in the studio. (I really do need to consider doing some cleaning and other grown up things)

Thanks to Marilyn 'An inch a day', the NWBA joint project, has regained momentum. My contribution this week has been to send out fabric at the right size and to collate on the timeline where these pieces will go. The idea being to track what we are all producing so hopefully this means that when we can meet and put it all together there won’t be gaps, or worse, no space at the right point to fit things in. I’m up to date with this now so I can start making more images.

The Art Society theme for February is ‘Elements’. After a bit of playing and several loose ends, some of which I’ll keep for later, I decided on ‘Storm in a teacup’.

My puppets are coming out to play again (well at least one of them).

I think I'm going to try some monoprinting.

Saturday, 6 February 2021


The theme for the art society this month was ‘Contrast’. I decided to go with monoprinting, black and white and return to the idea of the chess board for my motifs.

I made a series of stencils and foam stamps and dug out my drawings of the Lewis chessmen. I also culled a few more quotes from The Game and Playe of the Chesse  (a book printed by Caxton – you can find the transcript on the web)

I started with black and white. 

 Then added red,and then green as a complementary contrast.
 But soon other colours joined in.

 I eventually ended up with a set of about 30 prints so decided to make a book out of them. I was limited by the fact that the prints were all on pieces of thin paper only half a centimetre larger than the gelli late and I didn’t want to cut into the images. After some experimentation I decided to stick them back to back and add a piece of florists wire at one edge that I could use to wrap the stitching round. 
 Now for the next months theme (and more Magellan.)