Friday 6 March 2020

Painting

I haven’t painted very much at all in the past few years (other than stage scenery) but I wanted to explore the scarecrow imagery a bit more before I started to work on monoprints.


I kept it simple. Some new paper I wanted to try out (Seawhites are making a cartridge paper out of recycled coffee cups), a base colour of process blue and white (that was leftover from a nude silhouette of Granny Ogg!) and a restricted palette of burnt umber, Prussian blue, cadmium yellow deep, crimson and titanium white acrylics.

I warmed up with a few simple imaginary landscape bits.
Then onto the scarecrows.
The dark red and green background were initially underpainting but when I’d put some white on the shirts I decided I liked the contrast and kept it.

The next step is a bit more painting and some experiments with monoprint.

2 comments:

  1. nice ! And lovely colours too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The next two are on the easle but progress is slow. I'm a bit distracted at the moment. Aren't we all. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.