Monday 14 February 2022

Inspired by

For Christmas one of my daughters gave me a Paul Johnson Book. 

 I was fascinated by its construction. The pages are made from a single sheet of paper cut to give 8 panels and folded to give 5 pages.

I worked out the cuts needed for each panel

 And played with altering the shapes of the basic rectangles needed to make the folded structure 

 And tried it cutting a piece of gelli printed paper to give three pages

 I wanted to keep the chunky feel of the thick spine that Paul Johnson used but instead of a single folded sheet stuck to the spine with a couple of flaps I didn’t want to use glue and I wanted my panels cut in pairs (so three separate pieces) .

I liked it but decided to change to format to a square

 Looking through the holes in the pages to the sheets behind it put me in mind of a maze or hedge. So I thought about making the cuts spikier. 

 The gelli printed paper is not good at holding a crisp fold over time so I thought I’d experiment with making double sided paste paper in appropriate colours. 

 
 I think they worked. 

 I covered thin card with more paste paper. I would have liked something more substantial but the binding method I concocted needs thin slits cutting into the spine and I thought the thin card might be neater

And I bound the pages. The double spreads wanted to splay open which spoiled the hedge effect I was after so I held them shut with a thin strip of paper slotted over the fore edge.

I have written the words and even managed to get to Hot Bed Press to typeset them. They need living with for a few days before I go back and print them for an edition.I also need to make a whole stash of paste papers.

There’s a lot of work in each of these books so I’m thinking probably an edition of 5

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, these are fascinating. My mind boggles looking at the complexity of the construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, they look amazing (but also complicated...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, but its surprisingly simple once the cuts are made

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.