Wednesday 25 January 2012

Structure Again!


Up to now I’ve been thinking about two different approaches. The first is image driven based on charcoal sketches. These are developing into a night time journey around/to the tower. I put several of these together in a simple structure to see how they work.



Although I’m enjoying the drawing and they are a good warm up when I get into the workroom I don’t think they work for this book. I’d like to develop this into a more long term project (similar to ALAW ) and take them on a longer journey. So I’ll shelve this approach for now.

The second approach is structure driven developing the idea of the tower/half cover from last week.
I’m considering the use of embossing to provide some of the detail, a plait or possibly the rampion (Rapunzel plant). This design works well for printing as it folds back on itself so I can effectively print both sides in one pass


Although I like the symmetry of the design I am having problems with this construction. When I fold the tower to the left and then to the right it bows slightly as I flatten it down. Also the crease thickens.  I need to try it with very accurate measuring and different printing weight papers.


As I was sticking one of these together (to see how some of  the images I am considering using work in 3D) I made a mistake and ended up with no pop out tower but with a series of interlinked pages that can be folded and opened in different sequences – I might come back and explore this idea later 


I have been thinking about the images I may use and have started to play with silhouettes. I’m not sure if I want to include the prince or if he is just a bit player in this story. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jac, I really like your folded book structures and your charcoal image are beautiful to look at. Looks like your brain is buzzing with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lots of bits of ideas but I'm not sure how to make them work together yet - still thats the fun part

      Delete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.