Saturday 18 January 2014

Exploring Personal Histories

As part of the experiments I’ve been doing for ‘Personal Histories’ I’ve been scanning family photographs.

My husband has an old family album. It’s quite small with leather covered wood boards (very wormy) and it’s not in the best of conditions. It’s probably more accurate to say that he has bits of a family album. Restoring it is beyond my skills but I decided to scan the pages and boards and create a digitally printed facsimile.


Of course I got carried away; having scanned the pages it was easy to create extra blank frames to add more photos that weren't originally in the album.



I printed it on cheap printer paper in black and white just to see what I could do with it. The images are concertinaed and the end pages glued to the cover. This was just a quick way to explore the idea rather than sewing but I quite like the way it opens out. 


 If I am more restrained with the number of pages I think this structure could be adapted to work with a chain of dancing dolls.

4 comments:

  1. I am loving watching your explorations from afar Jac - I haven't even turned my mind to it yet! What fun to add to the album - just brilliant! And yes I love the re-worked blog pages etc, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was time for a change, the colours in the old blog looked rather dull

      Delete
  2. Hello Jac. I have just put my name down to take part in Personal Histories and one of the books I am planning will use old family photographs too. Not quite sure how yet, but I shave been longing to use them in some creative way. Your beautiful efforts here have inspired me, but like Fiona said, I have not actually managed to give this project any thought. Only decided yesterday that I had things to say and stories to contribute! Now I have to think of the ideas ...... Will be watching you closely, seeing how you bring this idea together. It is an amazing beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how its going to come together, at the moment its heading off in half a dozen different directions. I suppose thats part of the fun

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.