Sunday 12 July 2020

Isolation

I’ve been walking round this book for too long. I still like the original rough idea but it needs plates longer than I can print at home so I’m going to shelve that structure for now and try a new aproach.

I’ve been thinking about the idea of the garden in medieval literature. It was a place of beauty, a safe manageable cultivated space, an enclosed space. It was a contrast to the wild, savage, dangerous forest outside.

I‘ve also been wanting to use the words of Julian of Norwich, “al wil be wel and al wil be wel and al maner of thyng wil be wel” , in a book for a while now.

Not much is known about her personally but she was an anchorite who wrote about the visions she experienced when near death. She lived in Norwich at the time of the plague and there is speculation that before she undertook her calling she had been a wife and mother and had lost both husband and child.

The two themes seem to fit well together.

I need to make the book out of sections that I can cut out of A4 paper because it’s the only printing paper I have enough of to make an edition.

At the moment it’s looking like this. No doubt it will change.

2 comments:

  1. I Love Julian - her words often play across my screen saver! Some books have difficult labours; some arrive almost unannounced. I feel for you within your limitations, yet know that limitations can sometimes deliver the goods. But then, they deliver frustration too - hoping you get the goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its getting there. I'm not quite happy with it yet. I think I need to live with the mock up for a few days

      Delete

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time.